Monday, January 25, 2010

Quilts and Puzzles

I'm currently making a quilt for my Grandson. As I was starting to assemble the quilt I realized that putting together a quilt is much like working a puzzle. At least it is for me.

The block I chose for the quilt is called Woodland Patch. After I determined how many blocks in the quilt (24 for this one) I then had to calculate the amount of smaller blocks or triangles were needed to complete the quilt. Well here comes the fun part and the part I consider to be t putting the puzzle together. From the two piles you see here of black and white triangles I sew one black to one white until I completed a total 96 .

From these 96 blocks I had to attach the remaining black and white triangles in various directions

From here I had to lay them out and then sew those together until I formed the center strips.
This is why I call it a puzzle, because each piece had to fit a certain way to form the center strip


Now for the final step I then attached to larger triangle on each side of the center strip until I formed a block and continued on until I made 24 blocks.

Now from here you may wonder where I will go next. Well I do have pattern formed on how I will finish this quilt, but have decided to stop here and make it a little mystery for you. This I hope will have you coming back for more.

I will post the finishing of this quilt within the next couple of weeks. Like every other quilter I have more than one project going and alternate between them.

Stay tuned for part 2


1 comment:

  1. Looks like a beautiful quilt...can not wait to see finished product!

    ReplyDelete